|About QPL||Download||Documentation||QPL Version 4||FAQs|
The QPL 6 development software is supplied as a Firefox Version 11-35 browser add-on for the following operating systems:
When installed in Firefox, you may use the QPL 6 software to start a new web survey project, build a local test version of the web site and a production version that runs on a web server, and build statistical analysis files. You must, however, use a separate text editor software to write your QPL 6 program.
Documentation on installing the software as an Firefox add-on is provided below. Documentation on building, deploying, administering, and analyzing projects may be found on this website.
To run your project on a web server, you must also install the server setup files below. These files only need to be installed once. Any project you add later will use these files to configure themselves to your server.
Also see the copyright and user support information at the bottom of this page.
|QPL Firefox Version 11 through 35 Edition|
The qplwrapper.xpi will install all of the QPL 6 project development tools
into the Firefox browser as an add-on.
Firefox must be installed on your system before you may install this add-on.
1. Launch Firefox and open this page, if necessary.
2. Click on the link qplwrapper.xpi link to the left.
3. Click on the "Allow" button.
4. Click on the "Install Now" button.
5. Click the "Restart Firefox" button.
6. After Firefox restarts, open the Extensions view in the Add-ons dialog box: "Tools > Add-ons > Extensions."
7. Click the "QPL6 Wrapper" add-on, and then click the "Options" (Windows) or "Preferences" (Linux/Mac) button.
8. On the "QPL6 Preferences" dialog box, select your operating system and then click "OK."
9. Close the Add-ons dialog box.
You may now access the QPL6 development software from the Firefox "Tools > QPL6" menu option.
If you will be using the QPL Firefox Add-on on a Windows computer, you must also
install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86). This only needs
to be installed the on your computer the first time you install the QPL Firefox
Add-on. You do not need to install it again if you later install an updated
QPL Firefox Add-on.
Click on the link to the left to go to the Microsoft web site to download and install this package.
This zip file contains the files needed for the one-time setup of a web
server for hosting any number of QPL web survey projects. It contains
the QPL configuration file that is used by all projects to fit into
your environment. It also contains the programs to set up the QPL Mail
Queue, which is used by all QPL web survey projects to build and send
customized email messages to individual respondents.
See the readme.txt file for notes on how to modify these files to fit your environment.
A new QPL Add-on for Komodo Edit and Komodo IDE is being developed. This editor will let you develop QPL projects in one "write, compile, and view" environment. This is installed in Komodo the same way as the Firefox Add-on (and requires the Microsoft Redistributal Package for Windows). More coding wizards and Help pages still need to be added, but it can be used to edit, compile, and view projects. Special integration with the Subversion version control system is also being developed. Below is a working preview.
|QPL Komodo 8.5 Edition|
The qplkomodo.xpi will install all of the QPL 6 project development tools
into the Komodo editoras an add-on.
Komodo must be installed on your system before you may install this add-on.
1. Launch Komodo and open this page, if necessary.
2. Drag the qplkomodo.xpi from this page and drop it on the Komodo window.
3. Click the "Restart Komodo" link.
4. After Komodo restarts, open the Extensions view in the Add-ons dialog box: "Tools > Add-ons > Extensions."
5. Click the "QPL6 Wrapper" add-on, and then click the "Options" (Windows) or "Preferences" (Linux/Mac) button.
6. On the "QPL6 Preferences" dialog box, select your operating system and then click "OK."
7. Close the Add-ons dialog box.
You may now access the QPL6 development software from the Komodo "Tools > QPL6" menu option.
The QPL software was developed by the U.S. Government Accountability Office, an agency of the U.S. Government, and thus is not copyrightable. You may freely copy and use the software and documentation, though at your own risk.
While GAO can not provide extensive end-user support, we are happy to provide answers to emailed questions and will use them to update the FAQs on this site. The documentation, however, is very extensive and the source code for all the files that run your questionnaire on your server are provided in the set up programs or are generated when you compile your questionnaire programs. An experienced PHP and MySQL programmer can readily examine these files to diagnose problems or discover how a new feature may be added. And we are, of course, interested to get suggestions for improvements or hear of innovative ways that you used the software.
Send comments to Kevin Dooley.